Follow by Email

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Feeling Under the Weather

In just a few days I will be 8 months along in my pregnancy ... and this morning I woke with my first cold of the pregnancy (and hopefully the last). I think I am very lucky to have gone this whole time without a single cold because when you're pregnant, your immune system is down and so it is a lot easier to catch illnesses. The reason I feel lucky is because I am around people all day every day ... all kinds of people at the restaurant and then children in the afternoon and I have come in contact with a lot of sick people. So my immune system deserves a standing ovation  :)

However, it still sucks that I have a cold. At 4am I got up to use the restroom, and that was when I realized that it wasn't allergies I was dealing with yesterday evening when I was sniffling and sneezing. So when Josh got up at 6:30am he brought me 2 tylenol. I took those before even getting up because I knew getting rid of the headache and some of the aches and pains would help me get up, eat breakfast and get ready for work in a timely manner and that all of that would hopefully make me feel better. It made me feel well enough to get myself to work.
Unfortunatly it was downhill from there. Moving around, communicating with guests and standing made me feel quite a bit worse and so I spent my shift counting down to 2pm. Thankfully though, I managed to get my 2 gymnastics classes covered, so that I could spend the rest of the day resting. And I honestly dont think it wouldnt have been fair to my girls for me to try teaching them while feeling as bad as I did.

Before becoming pregnant I loved to medicate my colds because I dont like to slow down. Some of my favorite cold meds were decongestants, anticeptic throat spray, excerdrine, and niquil ... all of which are off limits. So I had to find a whole new way to get better. I dont think I have been doing too badly. While I probably could have eaten a lot healthier, I did drink a ton of water and am still downing it. I also took some extra vitamin C along with my prenatals - Don't worry, I had asked my doctor about extra vitamin C a while ago because it's my 'go to' when I think I may be getting sick - and took those two tylenol pills. I took a nap before work this morning and again this afternoon when I got home. Despite feeling pretty warm I have kept myself covered up but have also been getting plenty of fresh air. I have spent the majority of my afternoon/evening lying down and just resting ... all chores may wait.  And of course Brutus has been keeping me company and has been my couch and nap buddy.

I plan on getting to bed at a decent time tonight after I drink some tea with lemon and honey, and I dont have to be up in the morning. So I am really hoping that all of this rest will help me feel better as soon as possible. Especially before this weekend, because I want to be able to fully enjoy the baby shower :)  I think the excitement for that will help me recover sooner too.

In the mean time I am going to keep resting. I will take 2 more tylenol and a vitamin C before bed and use vick's vapor rub if breathing becomes a problem. --- Watch out Josh, you thought being pregnant made me snore more ... let's see what level fog horn I can be tonight  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment