Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years Resolution Anyone?

I gave up making New Year's Resolutions a long time ago. Simply for the reason that they were unrealistic, I didn't stick to them and ended up feeling like I'd failed. This happened mostly because I was a kid and would get excited about cleaning my room more, eating less junk food and being nicer to my little sister for about a week, and then I'd be over it!

But this year I feel like I need to make some promises to myself and my family. I say 'promises' because they are much harder for me to break than 'resolutions'. So here are my New Year's Promises:

I am entering a whole new chapter of my life this year ... I am becoming a mother. This is possibly the biggest life change that a woman can experience. I am going from a life that was all about what I wanted to do and taking care of myself to being a mother of a child who is completely dependent on me to live.
  • So my promise to my soon arriving new born child is to be the best mother I can be. I promise to follow my instincts and the advice of my doctor and mother to raise you to be the best you can be so that you can take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way. I promise to to be healthy so that you have the opportunity to be healthy and live a long and happy life. I promise to love you unconditionally and let you be who YOU want to be (as long as it doesnt land you in prison or an early grave).  <3
  • My promise to be soon-to-be-husband is to be the best soon-to-be-wife that I can be. I promise to be there for you in every way that I can providing you with my unconditional love and support. I promise to be your partner in the raising of our son.  <3
  • My promise to myself as a new mom is to not forget about myself. I promise to become as healthy as I was before becoming pregnant. I promise to take time to myself and allow myself to get back into my running schedule (schedule-ish). I promise to not be hard on myself when not everything goes to plan in motherhood. I promise not to stress out as I learn the ways of being a new parent.
I think those are good promises to try and keep, not only for this year of 2012, but for the remainder of my life. I think it will help me stay sane and not take life too seriously. I love my family and want us to live a long and happy life together.

So how about you all out there? New Year's Promises? Or maybe some life long promises? Will you be entering a new chapter in your life or do you perhaps want to start a new chapter? Get healthy? Take more time for yourself? Become a more active member of the community? Volunteer? We are all at different places in our lives ... it's up to you to decide where you want to go next!

Love you all! Happy New Year!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love your perspective of promises instead of resolutions! Your promises show what an awesome mommy and soon to be wife that you are already!
    My promise this year is to treat myself with the utmost respect. Which is to lose at least 30lbs to where I was last year, but to focus on losing all the excess weight that I have. To value my social time and create more friendships. And to be better about staying in touch with my friends who are now not to near, like you!
    Love you lady! I love hearing from you via your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is my 'like' button? ... I like your new years promises jessica :) Good luck with yours, though you dont need it ... I know you will succeed!

    ReplyDelete