Thursday, January 12, 2012

Look at that little smile!

I have had two doctor appointments in the last two days. Yesterday I had my ultrasound which is always amazing. It was the last ultrasound for this pregnancy, so the last chance to see James before he makes his way into the world in just over 3 months.
Everything looks great according to Nikki, the technician. James is in the 64th percentile as far as his growth goes, so that is a little above average. Hopefully that doesn't mean an 8 or 9 pound delivery weight!!! Hahahaha, though babies who are born bigger tend to sleep through the night a lot sooner which would definitely be a plus. At the moment, James is about 2.5 pounds ... so tiny!


James Thomas at 26.5 weeks. Can you believe that he smiled for the camera :)
Today's appointment was one of my routine monthly visits with Dr. Samawi. We do the same thing every visit: I pee in a cup, blood pressure, weight, temperature, baby's heart rate, uterus measurements and questions. Dr. Samawi said that everything is going really well and he couldn't be happier. He is an awesome doctor and I am excited to have him in the delivery room when the day arrives :)

So you remember when I was tested for anemia? It turns out that I am anemic and had to start taking iron pills twice a day. Anemia is very common among pregnant women, especially around the 27th week, which is right where I am. Here are some of the symptoms of anemia:

  • Easy fatigue and loss of energy  --- Yes!

  • Unusually rapid heart beat, particularly with exercise  --- Sometimes.

  • Shortness of breath and headache, particularly with exercise --- Sometimes.

  • Difficulty concentrating --- No more than usual, lol.

  • Dizziness --- Yes, but not too often.

  • Pale skin --- A few people mentioned that I was looking pale.

  • Leg cramps --- Especially at night time!

  • Insomnia --- Only in the past week or so.


  • So as you can see, I experienced most of the basic symptoms. The ones that bother me the most are the fatigue and the leg cramps and then more recently the insomnia.
    With the fatigue there are days where I feel completely useless and just want to sleep. There are days when I might take multiple naps and go to bed early. My head barely hits the pillow and I am out like a light!
    The leg cramps haven't been very bad, just more of an annoyance and discomfort when I am trying to relax at night. Some nights I toss and turn with a lot of frustration.
    And with the insomnia, it is where I will wake up between 4am-5am and not be able to get back to sleep for quite some time.

    So hopefully the iron intake will alleviate some of (if not all) these symptoms. The doctor also prescribed me something to hopefully ensure that constipation wont become an issue due to the added iron.

    So that's me. No more doctors appointments this week. So it will be nice to have a break from the doctor's office. :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment